Social media can help you reach beyond the walls of brick and mortar. Social media can enhance engagement, expand participation opportunities, and increase the authenticity of learning experiences. Watch the following video or you may optionally read the transcript. Watch the following video or you may optionally read the transcript.
Interact within a Social Media Platform
- Go to #EmTechWIKI Discover page and select a 21st-century skill, either Lifelong learning or from the 4Cs.
- Select an Objective that you would like to achieve.
- Choose Social Media from the Category menu.
- Select a social media tool or resource you would like to explore.
- Create an account and log in to explore the user interface of your selected tool.
- Set up your user profile. Remember to read and pay close attention to privacy settings (consider your Digital Identity).
- Find others to connect with (e.g., friends, family, colleagues or reach father to follow authorities in your fields of interests).
- Post a message on your selected platform.
- Reflect on your experience and write a 1 to 2 paragraph reflection and add it to your ePortfolio. Below are a few questions to consider.
- How this tool might impact your life (e.g., school, work, etc.)?
- How would engaging in social media impact you in your own setting based on what you have found?
- Do you have any existing social media habits that are related to the information you found?
- What are advantages and disadvantages to participating and engaging in conversations happening on social media?
- What are the most significant concerns you have? Do the advantages outweigh these concerns?
- Self-reflection questions such as these can also help to guide your reflection.
- Take a screenshot of the message you posted to social media. Embed the screenshot into your ePortfolio. If you prefer to keep your personal information private, you may use graphic editing software to blur out this information.
- Add a link to the social media tool that you explored into your ePortfolio reflection.
If you are enrolled in the MOOC, return to the #EmTechMOOC Coursera Discussion Forum to complete the Module you are working on.