Gamification uses game mechanics, dynamics, and frameworks with the intention of promoting desired behaviors. Educational gamification efforts should combine features of game design with sound pedagogical principles. Watch the following video or you may optionally read the transcript.
- Go to #EmTechWIKI Discover page and select a 21st-century skill.
- Select an Objective that you would like to achieve.
- Choose Gamification from the Category menu.
- Select a tool or resource you would like to explore.
- Then, choose one of the options below.
Option 1: Develop Gamification Activities
- Using the tool or resource you selected, come up with one (1) example of a Gamified Activity that learners can participate in for a total of two (2) Gamified Activities.
- Reflect on the differences between the platforms you chose. Were there advantages or disadvantages to the tools? Can you see yourself using these tools again, and if so, how? Do you think Gamified Activities could work beyond a school setting? Would participants prefer one game style over the other? Add your reflection to your portfolio.
- Embed or link your Gamified Activities as an artifact in your ePortfolio.
Option 2: Explore a Gamification Learning Module
- View the Practical Guide to Meaningful Gamification Learning Module.
- Respond to the questions on the MeGa Guided Reflection Log.
- Reflect on how Gamified Activities might impact learning? Do certain age groups benefit from Gamification as opposed to others? Can you see yourself using this Gamified Activities and if so, how?
- Reflect on your learning and add an entry to your ePortfolio.
- Embed your log into your ePortfolio.
Option 3: Create a Personalized Solution
- Think outside the box and create an artifact that relates to the tool or resource that you selected that meets your individual needs and objectives.
- Share and embed the artifact in your ePortfolio.
- Add a personal reflection that addresses the learning objectives that are important to you.
- Refer to these self-reflective questions to help you think about your learning and discoveries.
- Embed the item that you created in your ePortfolio.
If you are enrolled in the MOOC, return to the #EmTechMOOC Coursera Discussion Forum to complete the Module you are working on.